The tight knit group of believers, who would eventually become the congregation of St Andrews Presbyterian Church, first met for worship on September 7, 1958. Appropriately enough for a group of faithful Christians, that first worship service was held in a renovated barn on what was then known as Oak Summit Farm. The 80 member congregation was officially recognized by the Winston-Salem Presbytery of the former Presbyterian Church in the United States on November 23, 1958. Construction of the church building was begun on July 12, 1959. The building was dedicated on September 18, 1960. The wing housing our classrooms and the Day Care Center was added in 1966. The Fellowship Hall was added in 1987.
A wonderfully detailed history was compiled by one of our members as part of our 50th Anniversary Celebration in 2008. Click here to view the 50th Anniversary Celebration book
Today, St Andrews is a congregation of roughly 250 members. We are part of the Salem Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church (USA). We still occupy the same buildings. Occasionally we add to the facilities. We added chimes and a picnic shelter in 2008. We added a new organ in 2012. The important things have not changed. We are still a welcoming community of believers with a strong desire to share our faith with the community around us.